Thursday, November 23, 2006

thanksgiving 2006

So we were invited over by good friends in the church to celebrate Thanksgiving, my favorite holiday. We slept in, then ate a breakfast of whole grain 100% french toast and turkey bacon and light sugar free syrup (do you catch the trend here)...then I took a walk outside at the Harris Y, and noticed, in leaving, that the Christmas tree folks were getting the parking lot ready for tomorrow, and a spread of Christmas trees...

And then we went over to feast with our friends, engaging in the deadly sin of gluttony, too much food really but it was phenomenal, then we all played a game (maybe it's called "Cranial"), then I watched some of the NFL game, noticing that there mantra seems to be "give thanks, give back", and then I remember from the Observer a comment post-Katrina that the NFL gives almost nothing to charity, making enormous profits but constantly urging their fans to give to charity...along the way I took a brief nap...

Both daughters are home for the holidays, which is truly the greatest cause for thanksgiving just now, our older daughter flourishing at Chapel Hill (she was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa earlier this week...now I engaging in the deadly sin of pride), our younger daughter seems to be rocking along in her senior year of high school and taking her time in the college search, still a couple of applications to complete, some already in, one school heard from. They are watching "Grey's Anatomy" tonight with friends, a series I that I have not become involved with, nothing wrong with that...

Tomorrow there will be a couple of hospital calls to make, and a contact with a family that has experienced a death, but the office is closed, so the pace slows down, and I will avoid the mall crowds like the plague. Finally, I am getting my Christmas cd collection together, and am going to put them all on my ipod shuffle, the girls tell me that I can do this, and I probably can, but it will be infinitely easier once they return. So I will wait...

And so the Thanksgiving holiday brings with it some rest, and some homecoming, and some football and a great deal of food, and friends, and less traffic, and cause for gratitude in the midst of it all. And beyond it I am looking forward to the observance of Advent and Christmas, the parties, the services, the candles, and the stuff in the culture, the bowl games ( I would like to see Ohio State and Florida in the BCS Championship), and the larger, more serious matters that are moving toward resolution ( I am praying for an end to the war, for our sakes and for the sake of the people of Iraq), and along the way gratitude will be transformed into hope, once again, for a new Jerusalem, for a new creation, for the coming of the Messiah, the One who will preside at a great feast, for the Prince of Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home