Thursday, August 17, 2006

as the summer ends

The biggest news from these parts is that our oldest daughter has returned from her seven month internship in Beijing. She experienced an immersion in the chinese language and served with a women's center, doing some translation and leading camps for children. Today she gave a presentation to the senior adults of our church...and her mom and I were very proud. It is great to have her home, although she departs soon for Chapel Hill.

Otherwise, I must confess that I have seen the Will Farrell movie, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby...and as an act of full disclosure, I have actually seen it twice, once with my younger daughter and her friend, and second with my wife and older daughter. I am not surprised to report that the movie has already made 92 million dollars...and while it is not Citizen Kane, there is much to commend in the movie. My favorites: the scene where his wife is speaking with his physician, the table blessings, the Steve Earle music, the Halliburton humor, the throwaway gags after the movie ends, and the constant and relentless product placement. If you see this movie you are watching an extended commercial for a variety of products. But you will enjoy it, I predict. Then again, maybe not.

Last week I heard Bono speak, by videoconference at the Willow Creek Leadership Conference (I attended at a Methodist Church in Greensboro). I will post about Bono soon. In the meantime, suffice it to say that he was amazing...and since then I have been reading The End of Poverty by Jeffrey Sachs, for which he wrote a preface. A powerful book...

School cranks up soon, the time slips away, and the fall, with its stewardship campaign, staff evaluations, charge conference reports, and ramp up to Advent cannot be far behind. For tonight, however, it is nice just to have all of us on the same continent, and even resting under one roof. For these and many other blessings I give thanks.

Therefore, my recommendations for making the most of the summer's end:

Go see a really stupid movie.
Read a really challenging and profound book.
Enjoy times with family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home