Sunday, August 19, 2012

my transition to the role of bishop

A couple of you have reminded me that I have posted less frequently than in previous seasons, and so I offer here a brief word of explanation, by way of an update.  In July I was elected by the Southeastern Jurisdiction of the United Methodist Church to serve as a bishop.  During that same conference I was assigned to be the bishop of the Florida Conference, which includes most of the state, including the Keys, but with the exception of the panhandle.  The Florida Conference also has important covenant relationships with Haiti and Cuba, and indeed many members from these nations, and Angola.  I follow a respected and brilliant man, Timothy Whitaker, who retires to his home on the Eastern Shore of Virginia after serving there for eleven years.  My term will be for four years; it is often the custom that eight years is the norm in an area, and sometimes twelve.  A bishop, at present and with some exceptions in some central conferences, is elected for life tenure in the United Methodist Church.

Some have asked how all of this happened.  It is true that my life has been on a trajectory toward this possibility for some time:  serving as pastor of strong congregations, and as chair of oversight boards related to ordained ministers and bishops; being a part of two study commissions related to ordination, and working as a district superintendent these past fourteen months.

All of these experiences certainly have contributed toward a readiness for this role, if this is possible, but the journey is still a complex one, and no outcome is a given.  In our tradition bishops are elected by broad constituencies of laity and clergy in a region.  Many gifted persons have been on a similar journey and have not been called to the office of bishop; at the same time, many of these same persons have strengthened the church immeasurably in other ways.  The process of being nominated for the role of bishop includes an extended and rigorous period of discernment.  This includes interviews, written questions, personal conversations, prayer and developing relationships with other nominees and leaders in other conferences.  In my own experience I sensed that I was placing my life and calling in the hands of other people, specifically men and women called by the church to make this decision.

Because I trusted and respected the process and these people, I determined early on that I would consider the action of the church, whatever than might be, to be God's purpose for my life.  I had been a pastor for twenty-eight years prior to a brief tenure as a superintendent; I certainly enjoyed preaching, teaching, working alongside leaders toward a particular goal, and visiting with friends and listening in times of crisis.  Had the church not called me to this office, I imagine that I would have re-focused my life toward pastoral ministry again.  In time I would have considered that direction to be a blessing.

But the church has asked me to serve in a different way, one that is admittedly exciting and somewhat overwhelming.   I have worked closely with bishops, but I have not served in this role, so I am clearly in a place of "not knowing what I do not know."  At the same time, I have always been conscious that learning about a new place of ministry is an interesting part of the adventure.

In a few days we will be moving to Florida to begin this work.  I will serve alongside a gifted group of leaders there, who know the culture and will help me to begin to grasp it.  I will lead a conference that includes some of the strongest and largest congregations in our denomination and a number of the most gifted and visible leaders in our connection.  I will give oversight to a region that is as diverse (in ethnicity) as any episcopal area in Methodism.  I will assign pastors, ordain clergy and help over seven hundred churches and missions in their fundamental assignment: to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

In the words of the Service of Consecration, the calling of a bishop is expressed with clarity:

to guard the faith, to seek the unity, 
and to exercise the discipline of the whole Church.;
and to supervise and support the Church's life, work,
and mission throughout the world.

This ministry will call forth all the experiences I have gained over time in reading and interpreting scripture and theology, in mediation and reconciliation, in holding others (and myself) accountable within a tradition of grace, and in leading an institution to align its resources with its mission in the world.  As I recall the Service of Consecration, I remember both my own promises but also the response of all of those gathered to the question:

Will you uphold them in their ministries as bishops of the church?

And I remember hearing a resounding:

With God's help, we will.  

I am grateful for the clear remembrance of the voice of the surrounding community that both calls and encourages in these days of transition.  

14 Comments:

Blogger John Meunier said...

May God bless your ministry as bishop. Let the Holy Spirit guide you.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Sandra G. said...

You were well chosen. May your journey be a productive and joyful one.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Proverbs 31 Wannabe said...

We are praying for you and excited to see all that God has in store for us in this journey together!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Rod Groom said...

Blessings, grace and discernment to you and your family during this transition.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you planning a trip to Nepal and looking for information? Here you are: www.mountainmarttreks.com - A complete guide for your travel in Nepal


langtang trek lAnnapurna trek lEvererest Trek lpeak climbing in Nepal ljungle safari in Nepal lsight seeing lcultural tour lmountain flight lBhutan tour

11:10 PM  
Blogger Priya said...

Excellent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can not wait to read far more from you. This is actually a tremendous site..
Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai

10:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


mba online courses

xcellent products from you, man. I've comprehend your stuff past to and you're simply excessively magnificent. I really like what you've procured here, absolutely like what you are expressing and the manner by which you say it. You make it charming despite everything you deal with to keep it sensible. I can not hold up to peruse significantly more from you. This is really an enormous site..

10:29 PM  
Blogger luckys said...

activa 4g price

7:12 AM  
Blogger komal rawat said...

Scorp Holidays is india's top travel agency that provided cheap and best andaman tour package by local tour operators in andaman. Contact for andaman tour packages at 9679596631.

view more- Travel Agent in Andaman

9:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Travel of Dreams has been committed to bringing our clients the best in value and quality travel packages. We are passionate about travel and we provide best in class service to our clients. Our prime goal is customer satisfaction, thus, we believe in providing best services to our patrons at an affordable rate. We are a team of dedicated and hard wworking professionals and we all aim to have numerous satisfied customers. We know that our company depends upon fulfilling our clients needs every day and this is also our promise. View More:- Travel Of Dreams

9:23 PM  
Blogger luckys said...

citizen calculator

6:24 AM  
Blogger Swot Business said...

Well, very clear explanation about this topic, You did a good job and giving us such a useful information that you have shared with us. Thanks for sharing the best and useful information. I am very satisfied with your site and also with your information.
Regards
Swot Business promotions
Our strategic Top SEO services are comprehensive and aimed towards delivering a competitive edge for websites. A higher brand awareness generated by our SMO services empowers business to placement achieve a unique market.
For More Details visit : www.swotbusiness.com
We Having a lots of Satisified Customers of Our SEO Services,These following Companies are Getting SEO Services from our Company.
1) tour OperatorsPhoenix Tours & Travels
2) Maid Servicesphoenix maid service

3) Tour OperatorsVinny Tours
4) Event Planners,Wedding decoratorsSwastika Occasions
5) Vinny Enterprises
6) Cochin timbers
7) Kollam timbers
8) Dial Phoenix BPO ervices
9) Top NEET / IIT-JEE Coaching Institutes in Tamilnadu

5:19 AM  
Blogger sumit baghel said...

very nice aim motivational thoughts-motivation456

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home