Monday, October 10, 2011

soundtrack for a spiritual life

Most of you know that a few months ago I transitioned from being a pastor of a congregation to the role of superintending an area that covers seven counties, sixty nine churches and several other ministries. I travel a great deal in this work, and the Sunday morning experience is very different. I anticipated that I would need to find a new structure in my spiritual life, and in a future post I will share what that his meant in relation to study. But I knew that my experience of music would be very different. I had been blessed by a weekly proximity to extraordinary choral music and a congregation that loved to sing hymns. All of this would change. So I began to put together a list, on my iPod, of what I call "spiritual music". I listen to it during the week but mostly on Sunday mornings when I am traveling to churches that can be near our home in the mountains or as far away as two hours. Here is a soundtrack of the music that is currently feeding me spiritually:

All Creatures of Our God and King, Patty Griffin
We Shall Overcome, Charlie Haden and Hank Jones
By The Mark Where The Nails Have Been, Gillian Welch
I Feel Like Singing Today, Ralph Stanley and Jim Lauderdale
Laudate Dominum (Vespers), Mozart
When The Saints, Sara Groves
Broken Things, Julie Miller
On God Alone I Wait Silently, The Iona Community
Distressing Disguise, Michael Card
Blessed is The Man (Vespers, Op. 37), Rachmaninov
Satan, Your Kingdom Must Come Down, Band of Joy
He's Always Been Faithful, Sara Groves
Stay With Us, Taize Community
Never Grow Old, Patty Griffin with Buddy Miller
God Believes in You, Pierce Pettis
There is a Reason, Alison Krauss and Union Station
If Ye Love Me, Robert Shaw Singers
Love Is Still A Worthy Cause, Sara Groves
There's a Higher Power, Buddy Miller
Veni Sancte Spiritus, Taize Community
Angel Band, Emmylou Harris
O Magnum Mysterium, Robert Shaw Singers
I'm On The Other Side of Life Now, Emmylou Harris

I would welcome your comments, additions or questions. And if you want to explore some of this music on your own, well, that would be great as well!

1 Comments:

Blogger lehall said...

I have been loving Chris Rice's peace like a river album. His voice is just so well suited to the music. You now have a pandora station in your honor based off this list.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home