Saturday, March 01, 2008

no depression

I learned recently that one of my favorite magazines, No Depression, will cease publication. I am saddened by this news, as No Depression covers Americana (or Roots) music as well as any other source. The title comes from a song of Mother Maybelle Carter's ("There's no depression in heaven"), and the journal seemed to be able to bridge the country music of my childhood (Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash) with the country rock of my teenage years (Flying Burrito Brothers, Eagles, Linda Ronstadt) with a pretty wide assortment of artists up to the present moment: these might include Allen Touissaint and Steve Earle, Alison Krauss and Van Morrison, Leon Russell and Jim Lauderdale, Willie Nelson and Nickel Creek. You can access some of all of this at No Depression.

You can hear the about the decision here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home