Saturday, August 11, 2007

how hot is it?

Stuart Henry (of blessed memory), my professor of American Church History in Divinity School would remark about the classroom temperatures in Durham with the comment that "they must have us in training for hell". With several days of triple digit days behind us, and with no real change in the near future, I am wondering myself about the metaphysical implications....not to mention climate change.

***

Liz, our older daughter, will soon be enroute from Beijing to Raleigh/Durham. She has had a good time in China, seeing old friends and scouting out future job possibilities :-).

***

Abby, our younger daughter, is enjoying her last hurrah with high school friends. She will be a college student in a couple of weeks, which completely blows my mind.

***

Jack, our student from Haiti, returns in about a week. We have not told him about the heat. He remembers the mild spring days and the cool winter days of the North Carolina Piedmont.

***

My latest book, entitled Easter Services, Sermons and Prayers, has just been printed. You can learn more about the book, published by Abingdon, at amazon.com or abingdon.com. I will say more about it later, and of course it will have more relevance to all of our lives when we are actually approaching Easter.

***

Cujo, our cat, is the victim of an even more ferocious neighborhood cat (very bad scarring) so we are keeping him inside. With the heat, he does not mind.

***

The Charlotte Knights hosted the Richmond Braves, and I was all set to see the future Braves, but, with the heat, I chose instead to see two movies with my wife. One was the latest "Bourne" movie (Bourne Sororiety? Bourne Fatality? Borne Futulity?). The other was a prequel to Jane Austen's life (can't recall the title either). Very different movies, one a big hit with teenagers, the other one that appealed to a 97% female audience (approximately). Of course, I was very happy to be there with my wife. And it was cooler indoors than outside. Still, I had been waiting for this homestand for most of the summer.

***

I had a wonderful experience on Thursday with the order of Elders in Alabama-West Florida, and their Bishop, Larry Goodpaster, on the campus of Huntingdon College. My close friend Cam West is President of Huntingdon, and they are really modelling what it means to be a church-related college with integrity and enthusiasm. That evening we went to see the Montgomery Biscuits play the Chattanooga Lookouts. In between the seminar we enjoyed barbecue, not North Carolina barbecue, but still pretty good. In fact, I rarely eat barbecue that is not pretty good. Spiritual gifts, barbecue, minor league baseball...what a day.

***

So, now I am getting ready to go across the pond for nine days, to participate in the Oxford Institute for Methodist Theological Studies. You can google the institute and link to the 2007 Meeting, then the Working Group papers, and there you will find my contribution: "Creation, Justice and Hope: A Wesleyan Engagement with the Human Genome Project". I am there mostly to learn, however, and it should be very stimulating, intellectually.

My internet research also tells me that the daily highs are in the low 70s and the morning lows are in the low 50s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home