Wednesday, May 24, 2006

unclouded day

Go to Dualtone Records, where you can listen to Johnny Cash singing "Unclouded Day". More below:



"WHEN I BEGAN TO PUT THIS PROJECT TOGETHER, MY INITIAL IDEA WAS TO CREATE A BODY OF WORK COLLECTIVELY INSPIRED AND DEDICATED TO APPALACHIAN GOSPEL MUSIC…But then the project took on a life of it’s own. The Carter Family was a great influence in this work’s genesis, but through investigation, I discovered a world of lesser known songs, just as touching and beautiful as any penned by my great uncle, A. P. Carter. I discovered Washington Phillips, a gospel-blues singer who recorded in the 1920’s. I found Arizona Dranes, whose gritty and characteristic voice is reminiscent of Janis Joplin or Bonnie Raitt, although she recorded in the early 20th century. I found many inimitable bluegrass musicians, contemporaries to Bill Monroe and Flatt and
Scruggs, whose amazing talents have largely been forgotten. In making song suggestions to the artists on this project, I handed out a wide variety of music…Some of the artists had their own idea for a song to record. The only criterion in song choice was that the song be Gospel from the South. The result was this piece of music you hold in your hand. All of the music here has simple instrumentation, with focus on the vocal and the message within. I am quite grateful
that my father is on this project…Through his desire to record one more song during the
session he did for me in June of 2003, I am honored to present his recording of Unclouded Day. It was the first session he recorded after my mother passed on. Listen to the tiny voice inside, my mom always told me. In creating this project, I have found that voice, at times, speaks through a song or lyric of heartfelt inspiration. It is there. If you listen…The Voice of the Spirit."
JOHN CARTER CASH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home