Thursday, May 18, 2006

a non-judgmental evangelical

I realize, in my heart of hearts, what I am looking for: a non-judgmental evangelicalism. Is that possible? Is it possible that one can hold firmly to a high view of scripture, a deep passion for Jesus Christ, the transforming power of the Holy Spirit, and the necessity of being in a visible fellowship with other believers, and at the same time not have a need to judge the behaviors, motives or perspectives of others?

Can't God do the latter? Don't we have enough confidence to believe and expect that God will give the judgment, and within the constraints of His mercy? I am not speaking here of secular tolerance, or of partison politics; neither is finally acceptable to me as a Christian. Neither is the excessive focus on single-issue morality, which brings out the worst in every branch of the Christian family. I am wondering about something quite different. I am wanting to go deeply into the heart of the gospel itself, into the life and actions and teachings of Jesus Himself.

Is it possible to be a non-judgmental evangelical?

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

If by judgmental, you mean holier than thou, no. If my judgmental, you mean accountability, then yes.

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home