Saturday, May 14, 2005

now that i have your attention

Writing a blog is a fascinating enterprise. Often I simply put stuff in here that I like, impressions of whatever happens to be going on at the time. I also enjoy reading the blogs of others---locusts and honey, st phransus, shane raynor---they are linked to the right--they are people I have not actually met, but whose styles I appreciate and whose intellectual curiousity and creativity I admire.

I do recognize that blogs, like american life in general, sometimes tend to slide down one side of the mountain of the American political/cultural divide. And one way to increase traffic is to stand on one side of the mountain and lob a grenade toward the other side. Another way to increase the traffic is to touch on subjects that get you into the sphere of subject matter that the media obsesses over---sexual expression or deviance of one form or another. I could make a list here, and I am not especially puritan by nature, but none of it seems to advance the kingdom of God, or lead people to the abundant life that Jesus taught.

My political leanings tend more toward the practical and experiential. I am disturbed that the media does not seem to be covering the war. It is hidden, lost in the coverage of Michael Jackson and the Runaway Bride. Like most of American society, I wonder about the sacrifices of these young men and women, and their families, and I question the decision-makers, many of whom never made these kinds of sacrifices. I am also troubled by what is happening to our environment, and felt led to preach about that a few weeks ago. I like the saying of David Brower, which is found at the National Aquarium: "We do not inherit the earth from our fathers and mothers, we are borrowing it from our children."

What do the war and the environment have in common? We are asking the next generation to make sacrifices for our ideals and lifestyles. On these two issues, I am happy to speak and pray and work with anyone who is willing to gather a broad, non-sectarian and non-partison group of people willing connect being a Christian with what is going on in the world. I am convinced that there are no Democratic or Republic solutions.

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.


1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

The most important factor in blogging success is intentionality. I'm a talentless hack, but in a few short months I've worked my way up to Marauding Marsupial. By intentionality, I mean deliberately thinking through what you're going to achieve on your blog, and aggressively following through, analyzing what defines a successful blog and how you're going to go about building one. A few things that I've learned:

1. Find a microniche. Why will people go to your blog? I found one -- Methodist meta-blogging. No one was doing it yet until I came along, and so I invented the Methodist Blogs Weekly Roundup. My blog, otherwise filled with deluded political rants and ignorant theological rants, now was useful.

2. Quality and quantity. Post every day, and with good stuff. If you're posting under three days a week, your chances of climbing up are zero. And never post unless you actually have something to say.

3. Build a community. Visit other blogs. Leave comments. Link to them. Blogroll them. Let people get to know you. It will send traffic and links your way. Technorati your blog every day, find out who has linked to you, and find some way to pay him back, either by a comment or a link.

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home