Sunday, March 04, 2007

twelve good things

Twelve good things that have happened recently:

1. Our older daughter Liz, who attends UNC, has received a Burch Fellowship and will spend the summer in Toyko.

2. We had a good group in our membership class this morning, composed of people who seem to be drawn to the worship and vision of our church, and have amazing gifts and experiences themselves.

3. I was able to have breakfast Friday morning with Kennon Callahan, who has been a teacher and mentor to me over the years. He was in Charlotte leading a district seminar.

4. I enjoyed sharing Saturday afternoon and evening with our Confirmation Class at Lake Junaluska. The time was spent teaching, answering questions, eating pizza and celebrating Holy Communion.

5. My review of Anne Lamott's new book, Grace (Eventually), will appear in the Charlotte Observer in a couple of weeks.

6. I enjoyed an evening of music at the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville a couple of weeks ago, while participating in a meeting of the Ministry Study of the United Methodist Church.

7. I have been asked to serve on a Civic Engagement Committee in relation to Elie Wiesel's appearance in Charlotte later this month. We will have the opportunity to read and discuss his classic work, Night, and to hear him give a lecture.

8. On the way to Junaluska, where I would meet with the Confirmation Class, my wife Pam, Jack Lamour (from Haiti) and I stopped at Bridges BBQ in Shelby. This was perhaps Jack's first introduction to classic Carolina BBQ cuisine.

9. Our younger daughter, Abby, spoke at the annual youth worship service of our church last Sunday.

10. We attended a wonderful Academy Awards party, even if my picks did not all come through; I had Little Miss Sunshine as best picture. And while I thought An Inconvenient Truth was a boring movie about a fascinating subject, I am grateful for an increased awareness of an important issue.

11. Our church hosted the Annual Conference's Mission To Ministers, and in the opening worship service we received an offering for the theological library of Africa University. $3000 was contributed.

12. The days are gettiing longer. Spring is coming. Which means Braves baseball, and Merlefest, and mostly, it means the coming of Easter, and the hope of resurrection, and the promise of new life.




1 Comments:

Blogger nancy said...

God is good!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home